SATURDAY, JANUARY 14, 2023 AT 1 PM – 3 PM
6th Annual Virginia Prison Justice Rally
Monroe Park – 620 W. Main St., Richmond, VA 23220
Every January since 2018, the Virginia Prison Justice Network holds a rally in Richmond, the state capital, to raise public awareness about the key concerns of Virginia’s incarcerated people. The rally takes place on a Saturday near the opening of the General Assembly.
This year, the rally will take place at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 14, at Richmond’s Monroe Park.
2023 RALLY DEMANDS:
* BRING BACK PAROLE!
* REINSTATE THE ENHANCED EARNED SENTENCE CREDIT – FOR EVERYONE!
* END SOLITARY CONFINEMENT!
* INDEPENDENT OUTSIDE OVERSIGHT to end inhumane conditions in Virginia’s prisons, including:
* Shut down prisons with no AC: Augusta, Buckingham & Nottoway!
* Close Lawrenceville, Virginia’s only privately owned, for-profit prison!
* Raise the wages for prison labor, and make it voluntary for all jobs!
* Allow calls from personal tablets to end violence at prison phones!
* End guard brutality!
* Seriously deal with the drug overdose crisis in prisons!
* Prompt and efficient medical care for all prisoners!
NOTE: All suggestions submitted to the VAPJN will be raised at the Jan.14 rally.
We are asking incarcerated people, formerly incarcerated, family members and supporters to send us suggestions for which issues should be spotlighted at the 2023 rally.
Please send the suggestions to: DefendersFJE@hotmail.com or call or text 804.644.5834.
And please help spread the word about the rally! The bigger it is, the more pressure it will put on the General Assembly. You can help by marking yourself “going” on this page, by inviting your Facebook friends, by sharing the information on social media and by sharing this Facebook page.
And let us know if you’d like to help at the rally itself. Together, we are strong!
Join the Struggle-La Lucha Telegram channel