As we approach the 73rd anniversary of the Nakba, the Zionist colonization of Palestine and the forced expulsion of Palestinians, the Nakba is continuing. This is apparent everywhere in Palestine, but perhaps is most clear in the heart of Jerusalem, Palestine’s capital: in Sheikh Jarrah and Silwan, where Palestinian families are being threatened with imminent expulsion from their homes and lands by the Israeli regime and its colonial settlers, as they refuse to concede their lives to racist Zionist colonialism.
Palestinians in Jerusalem are under attack on multiple levels, defending their land, city and identity from erasure and colonialism for 73 years. They face the stripping of their identity and residence — even from their place of birth — severe repression, land confiscations, home demolitions and ongoing Zionist attempts to erase the Palestinian and Arab presence and nature of the city.
Right-wing settler mobs have rampaged through Sheikh Jarrah in the past days, screaming “Death to Arabs” and attacking Palestinians. Settlers attacked Palestinians breaking the Ramadan fast during Iftar, pepper spraying them and throwing rocks at them. Working hand in hand with these violent settlers, the Israeli military has attacked residents, sprayed skunk water and tear gas throughout the neighborhood, invaded homes, assaulted women, children and elders and seized dozens of Palestinian youth defending their own homes.
In Silwan, Palestinians are being threatened with violent expulsion from their Jerusalem homes in order to make way for a “David-themed” tourist attraction to produce income for the Zionist settler colonial project, built atop the homes and lives of the indigenous Palestinian people.
Palestinians in Jerusalem — and throughout occupied Palestine and in exile — continue to resist and to prove that the Palestinian struggle continues and that organizing and resistance is the road to liberation. We know that it is this resistance that will defeat the attacks of Zionism and imperialism, and our actions and organizing around the world can work to build support for the Palestinian people and their resistance in Jerusalem, Gaza, throughout occupied Palestine and in exile and diaspora.
Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network urges all friends of Palestine around the world to join the campaign to #SaveSheikhJarrah. Boycott Israel, take the streets and take action, organize direct actions and speak out to defend Jerusalem, defend Palestine and support the Palestinian resistance and the liberation of Palestine from the river to the sea!
Join us in the Week of Palestinian Struggle from 15-22 May — and before the week officially begins — to escalate our organizing, resistance and action to support the Palestinians struggling, resisting, fighting and facing the most severe, brutal and deadly colonial violence on the front lines of liberation struggle.
Here are some ways that you can take action:
The international, Arab and Palestinian campaign to boycott Israel can play an important role at this critical time. Local boycott groups can protest and label Israeli produce and groceries. During Ramadan, Israeli dates from stolen Palestinian land are marketed around the world while Israel attempts to force Palestinians from Jerusalem, demolish homes, and imprisons thousands more. By participating in the boycott of Israel, you can directly help to throw a wrench in the economy of settler colonialism. Download our Boycott Flyerto distribute at supermarkets, stores and other venues in your community!
Take the Streets
On the Week of Palestinian Struggle, join us to defend Jerusalem, #SaveSheikhJarrah and continue on their path of resistance, steadfastness and solidarity. There are more actions on 8 and 9 May to stand with Palestine in New York, London, Berlin, Columbus, Chicago, Milan and elsewhere. It’s time to make our voices heard loudly and clearly for justice for Palestine. Take to the streets and join these actions below — and see our full list of events!
Our comrades at Within Our Lifetime – United for Palestine developed a useful toolkit that you can use when planning your own event! Check it out here: https://wolpalestine.com/resources/rally-toolkit/
- Chicago: Stand with the people of Sheikh Jarrah– Saturday, 8 May 1:00 pm Federal Plaza 219 S. Dearborn, Chicago, IL, USA Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
- NYC/Brooklyn: Defend Palestine! Support Palestinians Resisting in Sheikh Jarrah Speak-Out – Saturday, 8 May 4:00 PM 7114 5th Ave Brooklyn, NY 11209 Organized by Within Our Lifetime – United for Palestine
- Columbus, OH: Free Palestine! #SaveSheikhJarrah – Saturday, 8 May 1 pm Goodale Park Columbus, OH Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/462746188320785/
- Amsterdam: Save Jerusalem, Save Sheikh Jarrah – Sunday, 9 May 3:00 pm Dam Square Amsterdam, Netherlands Organized by the Palestinian Community in the Netherlands
- Den Haag: Car Caravan for Palestine – Sunday, 9 May 3:00 pm Zuiderpark Den Haag, Netherlands
- Berlin: Rally to Save #SheikhJarrah and Defend Jerusalem – Sunday, 9 May 5:00 pm Hermannplatz Berlin, Germany (also, march at 4 pm from Rathaus Neukolln in Berlin)
- Milan: Stop Ethnic Cleansing in Jerusalem – Sunday, 9 May 4:00 pm Piaza Mercanti Milan, Italy Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/224923282725755/
- London: #SaveSheikhJarrah – Shut Elbit Down — Tuesday, 11 May 1 pm Elbit Headquarters 77 Kingsway, Holborn, London Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/495682988443219
- Washington, DC: Stop Jerusalem Expulsions – Tuesday, 11 May 4 pm State Department 22nd St and C St NW Washington, DC Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1733963580122820
- Brisbane: Rally and March for Palestinian Nakba Day – Friday, 14 May 5:30 pm King George Square Meanjin (Brisbane), Australia Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/482349836444158/
- Berlin: The March for Return and Liberation in Berlin مسيرة العودة والتحرير في برلين – Saturday, 15 May 3:00 pm Hermannplatz Berlin, Germany Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/285393236431944/
- Frankfurt: Nakba Demonstration 2021: Struggle for a Free Palestine – Saturday, 15 May 4:00 pm Hauptwache Frankfurt am Main, Germany Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1134671537040565/
- Vancouver: Nakba73 – Flash Picket for Palestine – Saturday, 15 May 2:00 PM CBC Vancouver 700 Hamilton St Vancouver, BC, Canada Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/511558669861511/
- Manchester: Open mic rally for Palestinian Liberation – Saturday, 15 May 12 pm Piccadilly Gardens Manchester, UK Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/events/197717268833756/
- Athens: Rally to commemorate the Palestinian Nakba – Saturday, 15 May 5:00 pm Marathonodromon 1 Psichiko, Athens Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1118460608659512/
- Gothenburg: Car Caravan for Al-Nakba 73 – Saturday, 15 May 2:00 pm Heden parking (start) Gothenburg, Sweden Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/3839719726155420/
- Brooklyn/New York: Nakba 73 – Defend Palestine from the River to the Sea! – Saturday, 15 May 4:30 pm 7114 5th Avenue Brooklyn, NY Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/934431837104538
- San Francisco: Nakba 73 – We will Return! – Saturday, 15 May 1 pm – 3 pm Community Art Event 3 pm Community Rally to commemorate the Nakba 24th and Mission San Francisco, California, US Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/294729132357416/
- Los Angeles: Nakba 73 – Resistance Until Liberation Rally & Protest – Saturday, 15 May 12:00 pm Federal Buildng 11000 Wilshire Blvd Los Angeles, CA, USA Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/371476687562290/
- Minneapolis: Al Nakba Protest and Car Caravan – Saturday, 15 May 2:00 pm Filfillah 4301 Central Ave NE Minneapolis, MN, USA Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/162055159148897/
- Houston: Rally & Protest – Nakba 73: We Will Return – Saturday, 15 May 3 pm Westheimer and Post Oak Houston, TX Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/621652099233619/
- Las Vegas: Rally to Defend Palestine – Saturday, 15 May 5:00 pm Venetian Resort 3355 S Las Vegas Blvd Las Vegas, NV, USA Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/s/rally-to-defend-palestine/1161077187721746/
- Stuttgart: Nakba Day Demonstration – Saturday, 15 May 4:00 pm Marienplatz Stuttgart, Deutschland Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/314851323362059/
- Köln: Nakba Day Demonstration – Saturday, 15 May 4:00 pm Heumarkt Köln, Germany Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1816335211886920/
- Freiburg: The Ongoing Nakba – Saturday, 15 May 10 am — 2 pm Platz der alten Synagoge 2 pm – 5 pm Konzerthaus Freiburg, Germany Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/237853331472279/
- Hamburg: Demonstration for the Day of the Nakba – Saturday, 15 May 3:00 pm Ottenser Hauptstrasse Hamburg, Germany Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/296738808610593/
- Lyon: 15 May Rally for Palestinian Nakba – Saturday, 15 May 3:00 pm, Place Bellecour, Lyon, France. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/216771669906512/
- Brussels: Rally to commemorate Nakba 73 – Saturday, 15 May 3:00 pm Place Albertine Brussels, Belgium Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/911945669375799/
- Marseille: 1948 Nakba – 73 years of Palestinian Resistance – Saturday, 15 May 3:00 pm Place Bargemon Marseille, France
- Napoli: NAKBA النكبه – Ricordare e resistere per esistere! – Saturday, 15 May 11 am Piazza Dante Napoli, Italy Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/915416095919119/
- Machynlleth: Nakba Day Vigil – Saturday, 15 May 11 am The Clock Tower Machynlleth, Wales Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/208833754148964/
- Nottingham: Remember the Nakba – Saturday, 15 May 12 pm Old Market Square Nottingham, Britain Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/833822114155903/
- East London: Remembering the Palestinian Nakba in East London – Saturday, 15 May 12 pm Stratford Market East London, Britain and Whitechapel Ideas Store, East London Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/753847125250976/
- Canterbury: Nakba 73 – Exist! Resist! Return! – Saturday, 15 May 1 pm HSBC Bank, Whitefriars 9 Rose Lane, Canterbury, UK Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/307828627519700/
- Waikato: Al Nakba Commemoration Rally – Saturday, 15 May 1:30 pm Wairere Drive and Cambridge Road Hillcrest ( same place as previous Rallies ) Waikato, New Zealand Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/158619039441894/
- Sydney: Rally: Free Palestine, Commemorate Al Nakba – Saturday, 15 May 2:00 pm Sydney Town Hall Sydney, Australia Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/841268616598354/
- Paterson, NJ: Rally to Defend Palestine from the River to the Sea – Sunday, 16 May 1 pm Main St and Gould Avenue Paterson, NJ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/510383643319503/
- Stafford: The Day Elbit Dies in the Dock – Friday, 17 May 9:00 am Stafford Crown Court Victoria Square, Stafford ST16 200 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/506942006968372/
- Melbourne: Nakba rally (Naarm): 73 years of Israeli colonisation must end – Saturday, 22 May 1:00 pm State Library Victoria 328 Swanston Street Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/922133665236736/